An SCBOS partner from the beginning, the SC Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) manages diverse, yet interrelated programs to promote and protect public health and the state’s land, water, air and coastal resources.
DHEC can advise you how your company can "go green” by recycling, improving sanitation, and taking other voluntary steps to help protect South Carolina’s environment.
In addition, if your business involves an activity that could in some way affect health or the environment, you may be required by federal or state law to apply for a permit, file paperwork or take some other action through DHEC.
- Inspects restaurants and advises owners and managers how to improve food safety
- Issues permits, licenses and certifications for a variety of businesses
- Conducts sanitary inspections of health care facilities
- Reviews newly installed septic tanks on property under development, and
- Explains and enforces all other federal and state health and environmental laws and regulations
Click here to get information about other DHEC permits, licenses and certifications
I Need Information
Opening a restaurant or mobile food service? Thinking about becoming a caterer?
DHEC has made changes to the Retail Food Establishment Permit process.
Read the DHEC letter for more details.
For information on regulations, signage, and other tools click